12th century church in the grounds of Glympton Park. Access from the lodge on the Wootton-Middle Barton road (cars by courtesy only; pedestrian right of way only)
Glympton History –
In a Charter, 1049-1052, the name is Glimtune; in Domesday Book, 1085, Glintone. In the 12th and 13th centuries, Clinton and Clyton. From the end of the 13th century, Glimpton or Glympton. In some documents Glympton is called “Glympton-in-the-hole”.
The Parish occupies a strip, 3 miles north to south and varying in width from 1 to ½ mile; area 1,259 acres; highest point 480 (Barton Road); lowest 308, near the Rectory. The ecclesiastical Parish of Glympton was abolished by Order of Council on 1st March 2003 and merged with the neighbouring parishes of Wootton and Kiddington.
The River Glyme flows in the bottom of a saucer-shaped hollow. It flows to Blenheim Park, and later joins the Evenlode near Bladon.
It was once forest on the edge of Wychwood Forest the haunt of wild boar. The name “Assarts” means ‘cleared forest’. There was once a mill for grinding corn, but the site is unknown. Fossil remains, found in the quarry near the village, include parts of the backbone of Cetiosaurus, which was about 50 feet long and 10 feet in height.
Flint implements have been found, and there is a ‘Tumulus’ (ie burial mound) just beyond the boundary of the Parish, in a field opposite a roadside dwelling on the Wootton Road. It is called Copping Knoll” and is about 150 yards from the road. Evidences of Roman occupation are numerous.
As early as the beginning of the 14th century there was a Manor House, but there is no evidence as to the site. One of the oldest buildings is the South Lodge, or Gate-house, restored 1880. It is much as it was in 1690. It then had coats-of-arms of the St Johns and the Cuppers families. St Johns (1320-1357), Cuppers (1547-1632). The only very old parts of the Hall are the cellar vaults. It was partly rebuilt in 1846; modernised by Alan Good (1947) and later by Garfield Weston, Eric Towler and significantly by the present owner.
There was certainly a church here in 1122. It belonged to the Priory of Kenilworth and may have been built by the Priors. Old parts are: columns of the Chancel Arch; Arch of West Tower; Corbels supporting the roof; and the Font (discovered in use as a water trough in the Village, 1872). The Font may be Norman, and the crude decoration later. Some stones, with zig-zag Norman work, are built into the Tower, and were probably part of the old Chancel Arch.
The present Chancel Arch was restored in 1846, when the high pews were removed and a new Pulpit and Lectern installed. Some of the old work can be seen in the pews. In 1872 the Chancel was rebuilt; new windows put in the Nave, and Porch and Vestry added. Further renovations, by Eric Towler in 1958, include the re-flooring of the Belfry Tower, the replacement of the Victorian tiles in the Chancel floor by Portland stone, the renovation of the interior roof of the Chancel, and the cleaning and colouring of its walls.